Gaza’s First Large-Scale Departure from the Gaza Strip: Israeli Airstrike Efficiencies and Hamas-Microphone Service
The announcement followed a 34-hour communications blackout in Gaza over the weekend that coincided with the start of Israel’s “expanded” ground operations.
The activity at the border took place as internet and phone service in Gaza was out again Wednesday. International routes that had previously been reconnected lost power because of the outage, according to the company.
On Tuesday, 59 trucks of aid entered Gaza — the largest number of trucks in one day since aid began crossing on Oct. 21. Israel is blocking the delivery of fuel. Dozens of additional trucks were expected to enter Gaza Wednesday.
Israeli airstrikes have killed more than 8,000 and injured 20,000 others, Palestinian officials say, and doctors at Gaza’s hospitals say they are overwhelmed. Hundreds of American citizens have been stranded in Gaza since the war began, along with thousands of other foreign passport holders.
Some foreign passport holders will be allowed to leave Gaza through the Hamas-run border crossing authority. The authority published a list that appeared to include the names and passport information of nearly 500 foreigners, most of them citizens of eight countries or who are associated with NGOs. The number of foreign nationals on the list is likely to be larger than it is.
TEL AVIV, Israel — Foreign nationals gathered at Gaza’s border crossing with Egypt on Wednesday, as anticipation grew that the first group of people trapped inside Gaza since fighting broke out between Israel and Hamas would be allowed to leave.
On the opposite side of the crossing from Gaza into Egypt stood ambulances waiting to evacuate critically injured people, who have been hit by Israeli airstrikes.
Some of the would-be evacuees repeatedly went to the Rafah crossing over the last three weeks after hearing it might open, only to find the gate shut. Many people were prompted to head there even though they hadn’t yet left because of rumors that the crossing was open this week. The lack of internet and spotty phone connections made it hard for some people to hear they were leaving this week.
But reaching safety was hardly as simple as showing up at the border, foreign passport in hand, as several evacuees described in interviews with The New York Times.
The first large-scale departure of civilians from the Gaza Strip was expected to occur on Thursday, as hundreds of Americans and other foreign citizens prepared to leave.
It was difficult, but she should leave, said Ms.alah in a phone call from southern Gaza. To be safe.
U.S. border authorities and human rights activists: a call for a cease-fire after a recent White House speech on a humanitarian pause
A new list of passport holders approved to depart — all of them foreign citizens or dual national Palestinians — was issued by the border authority overnight. Around 400 Americans were included. It was unclear how many would be able to cross.
The State Department has been in contact with around 400 Americans who have expressed a desire to leave, department spokesperson Matthew Miller said Wednesday. Miller said the total number is 1000 with their family members.
Calls for a cease-fire have grown from human rights groups, international leaders and left-leaning members of the Democratic party. The White House has been against a cease-fire in the past, but has shown its support for a humanitarian pause over the last few days.
He spoke to a crowd of people after giving a speech. A brief cessation of military operations could “give time to get the prisoners out,” he added, which the White House later clarified to refer to hostages held by Hamas.